A recent Atlassian survey of 1,300 customers revealed an intriguing paradox: the smaller the team, the more productive it is.
Of those surveyed, 37% of smaller dev orgs (1-100 people) reported that it takes fewer than 4 hours to push line of code to production versus 23% of medium dev orgs and only 17% of larger dev orgs.
Factors making smaller teams more competitive likely include simpler processes and fewer cross-team dependencies. But what role does software play? Atlassian recently explored this topic in a new blog. We’ve highlighted some of the key points for you:
Git and Agile Software Development
88% of organizations with 100 or fewer people reported that their team had adopted Agile practices and moved to a Distributed Version Control System (DVCS), which helps teams adapt to changes quickly – regardless of their size.
Almost every new dev org team adopts Agile practices from the beginning. As the business grows and teams expand, they gather in self-organizing groups around specific projects. Those teams continue to use a DVCS like Git to streamline collaboration.
No matter a team’s size, automation is critical for enabling collaboration and boosting productivity. Reducing manual work can save countless hours and help teams excel in their areas of expertise, letting them do more with less. Integrating and automating processes means develops can start coding a new branch, automatically move that code along, and stay focused to deliver results faster.
For smaller teams, the challenges of in-house hosting – including managing infrastructure, internal supports, and regular upgrades – can slow them down and distract them when the focus needs to be on growing their business. Cloud computing provides secure, scalable, and reliable environments in which teams can host their critical infrastructures and launch applications.
Do More on the AWS Cloud with iTMethods
At iTMethods, our experts will help your business do more, streamlining and simplifying operations to maximize your team’s productivity.
Our AWS experts can help you:
- Develop a cloud strategy and roadmap
- Migrate your critical infrastructures
- Set up proactive security processes
- Take advantage of innovative solutions like Velosity, a managed hosting platform for Atlassian applications and third-party add-ons in a secure virtual clouds powered by AWS.
We will monitor and manage your infrastructure on an ongoing basis, letting you can focus on expanding your business.
- Some Cloud Best Practices from iTMethods - March 6, 2017
- Making the Most of Mass Migration to the AWS Cloud - January 22, 2017
- News Release: The University of Alberta Moves Its Chief Digital Brand to the AWS Cloud - September 27, 2016
- Fulfill Canadian Data Residency Requirements and Unlock the Power of the AWS Cloud - June 16, 2016
- Are You Part of the Trend towards Leaner, Faster Software Development Teams? - May 11, 2016
- Top 3 Software Development Trends for 2016 - April 29, 2016