Migrating to the cloud can be a complex process. It’s important to make sure your migration strategy is customized to meet your business objectives.
Through our experiences moving diverse workloads to the cloud, we’ve learned that every migration is different, but as a whole they fall into 7 common cloud migration scenarios. Below is a brief summary of each.
1. New Cloud Deployment
Maximize agility through new cloud deployments. Without needing to negotiate constraints that come with transitioning existing workloads, your business will be able to streamline, simplify, and cloud-enable its IT infrastructures.
2. Cloud-to-Cloud Migration
Whether you’re moving to cut costs or boost performance, migrating to a new cloud means taking advantage of enhanced speed, scalability, reliability, and security.
3. Distressed Cloud Projects
Has your project hit a snag in the road? Cloud strategies are often mismanaged and need to be taken over by experts who specialise in rescuing struggling projects.
4. Lift-and-Shift Legacy Cloud Infrastructures
A lift-and-shift is a fast, affordable, and secure solution. As long as your application is suitable, you can move it to the cloud without changing code.
5. Lift-and-Optimize Legacy Infrastructures
Sometimes legacy applications will need architectural changes before you migrate them. Optimizing the deployment environment and redeveloping application functionality will let you take advantage of built-in services including auto-scaling, managed services like RDS or Elasticsearch, serverless computing using Lambda, backup and recovery using snapshots, and security / compliance by design.
6. Hybrid IT and Cloud Infrastructures
A hybrid solution can give you a more gradual transition to the cloud, letting you maintain your existing infrastructure while taking advantage of the agility, speed, and performance that comes with cloud computing. Solutions such as cloud-bursting or disaster recovery for on premise VMs can provide cost effective ways of leveraging the cloud.
7. Developing and Testing in the Cloud
Relocating your development and test sites to the cloud will shorten setup and cycle times, allowing you to quickly create, deploy, and manage applications and workloads.
Choosing the Right Partner to Manage Your Migration
Cloud migration is an evolving, ongoing process demanding specialized skillsets to move complex workloads efficiently without compromising security.
At iTMethods, our AWS experts have the experience and expertise to not only deploy secure, scalable AWS environments, but also manage them 24x7x365. We will work with you to optimize, simplify, automate, future-proof, and accelerate your cloud strategies.
- iTMethods Renews Status as Amazon Web Services (AWS) Managed Service Provider - May 25, 2017
- News Release: iTMethods Recognized as a Member of AWS Service Delivery Program for Aurora and Database Migration Service - November 29, 2016
- iTMethods Recognized as an Inaugural Member of Amazon Web Services’ (AWS’) Public Sector Partner Program - November 29, 2016
- Join iTMethods at AWS re:Invent 2016 in Las Vegas! - November 24, 2016
- iTMethods Attends the AWS Enterprise Summit in Toronto - October 25, 2016
- Case Study: UGroupMedia Inc Leverages the AWS Cloud to Handle Explosive Demand - September 6, 2016
- Case Study: Topline Ventures Leverages the Cloud for Global Expansion - August 10, 2016
- Case Study: Limelight Realizes Rapid Growth on the AWS Cloud - July 8, 2016
- iTMethods Achieves AWS Managed Service Provider (MSP) Partner Status - March 29, 2016
- Introducing AWS Database Migration Service - March 24, 2016